Current Size: 100%
Careers & Higher Education
Our careers education and guidance programme is an important means of motivating students and raising aspirations. It encourages students to see learning and career development as a life-long process. It has an important role to play as part of a broad and balanced education, helping individual students to build the skills, knowledge, attitudes and values to:
- Develop knowledge of themselves: strengths, weaknesses, personal qualities; and have a balanced view of their self worth and potential
- Take up education, training and career opportunities
- Make informed choices about education, training and career progression
- Develop self reliance and take responsibility for their own decisions now and in the future
- Prepare for adult responsibilities, including effective relationships with colleagues
Advice on careers and university entrance is readily available from our dedicated careers team and the Academy intranet. Students can benefit from our excellent links with universities and colleges, including Oxford and Cambridge and, in the future, those based abroad.
Students are given practical help, including opportunities to attend university and college Open Days; support in obtaining relevant work experience, and advice on job and university applications.
Expert advice is also available from other organisations. The Academy employs Barry Cunliffe as an Independent Careers Advisor. Barry has a BA (hons) in Psychology, a Postgraduate Diploma in Careers Guidance, Diploma in Counselling, and is trained in Psychometric Testing. He is in school every Thursday and Sixth Form are encouraged to make an appointment to see him to discuss post 18 options. www.ucas.co.uk